Saturday, June 5, 2010

Gimme 50! On each side!

About 5 weeks ago, I signed up for a local Fitness Bootcamp. Five weeks. Yay me!! I haven't been able to make every session that I'd planned to, but I've gone every week and I'm sticking with it.

*For clarification, I have completed five weeks so far, but I signed up for a year - so this is a long-term gig*


It is held outside at a local park - which I really love - except for when the blazing sun is beating straight down on my head after the first 30 minutes of hard work.



It is hard, for sure, as I have not been this phsycially active in . . . gosh, ever? LOL Well, at least since I've been driving and didn't have to rely on walking to get where I wanted to go! So it's been a while. But I feel good about it - and because of it. And I'm finding it to be an interesting emotional experience in ways that I didn't expect.



And it's really fascingating to see how different people react to boot camp.



Some people can *look* relatively fit and really struggle at first, while others who appear to be in much worse shape can really hang in there and kick ass from the start.



And I can't help but wonder how much of it is psychological, ya know?



Of course there is a physical element as well . . . obviously, two people can be equally overweight and have very different lifestyles, with one being a virtual sloth and the other being regularly active (and a non-smoker, I bet!), which would of course explain the differences in performance.



But it also has plenty to do with attitude.

Who has the best outlook? Who is enthusiastic? Who is more afraid? Stuck? Desperate? Driven?



I am learning so much about my own thinking and self-talk through this experience. It's been quite enlightening and a little empowering.



I tend to pay so much mind to my weaknesses (cardio/endurance) that I barely leave room for much else. But I am also beginning to recognize that I have stengths! Imagine that. And it's really been fascinating to see how I perform compared to others. And I don't mean in a competitive way (I assure you that I am not there yet!), but simply in observing how different our bodies really can be - inside and out. It has been eye-opening - in both good and bad ways.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo
    You are back
    Self reflection is such a powerful tool is it not

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and you have like a MILLION strengths

    ReplyDelete