Friday, August 21, 2009

One. Thing. At. A. Time. Let's start with SCD!




As is standard procedure for me, I have reached that point in my "funky state" (that dark place I go to when I'm overwhelmed with all of the responsibilities of being a grown-up in this imperfect life) when I just can't tolerate the funk no mo! So, I decided this morning that I had to put on my big girl panties (and boy are they big these days!) and start DOING something, rather than allowing what I'm FEELING to paralyze me another day. After all, the majority of the things that are weighing on me cannot be corrected over night, and a few of them are - at least temporarily - out of my control. And in any case, I can't tackle them all at once. So I'm letting go and getting busy.

Today, pay day (thank G-d!!), I stocked up on all of the necessary items to start JC on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) again. Some parents of children on the autism spectrum use the diet because they see cognitive or behavioral progress from their children when they do. I am doing it (this time around), largely to address some GI issues (gastritis and severe regurjitation), but I will gladly accept any cognitive or behavioral improvements that might occur, of course.

This afternoon I got started with a few basics that will be necessary for school lunches.

1. Banana Muffins (I've made these on and off since I found the recipe because they're so simple and healthy, and little man loves 'em)

*6 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of walnuts, 1/3 cup of honey -- blend for 4 minutes
*Add 1 - 1 1/2 RIPE bananas (must have brown spots) -- blend for 2 minutes
*Add 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp organic vanilla -- blend for a few seconds
*Add sprinkle of salt and stir

Bake @ 350 for about 30 minutes. Muffin tops will fall flat, but they're moist and tasty!

2. Walnut Spice Cookies
*2 cups walnuts, 1 Tbsp cinnamon - grind in blender
*whisk 2 egg whites until frothy
*combine egg whites with 1/4 cup of honey and walnut/cinnamon mixture - blend together w/ hands or spoon
*Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet and bake @ 350 for about 15 minutes

3. Vegetable Meat Loaf
(I made mini-loaves using a kit I bought at a yard sale years ago, which is basically a muffin tin w/ holes in the bottom that sits atop a baking pan)

*Cut up medium onion, 1 stalk of celery, small amount of green pepper (I did not), 1 carrot, 1 sprig of parsley (I forgot!).
* Place 1 medium fresh tomato OR 1/2 cup of tomato juice (tomatoes & salt ONLY) w/ the cut veggies in a blender and blend until pretty fairly smooth.
*Empty blender contents into bowl and mix with 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef (I used serloin).
*Season w/ salt and pepper (I forgot that, too!)
*Form into loaf and Bake @ 350 for about an hour

That's all for now. Tomorrow I will get busy again. On the agenda: soaking beans, making homemade ketchup, mayonaise & applesauce, roasting a chicken and vegetables, and baking "Granola chews."

Updated w/ photos of spice cookies and macaroons made the following day . . .








2 comments:

  1. T they sound squite tasty and VERY nutritious
    I may try something myself
    Does C eat it happily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the cookies and muffins are tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete