Friday, July 10, 2009

Like a kid in a candy store . . .

I <3 educational products. Seriously love them. If someone gave me $1000 to blow right now, I would undoubtedly spend the bulk on books, flashcards and manipulatives (not that $1000 would get me very far, as this stuff costs a fortune). Never mind that I could use some new clothes and need to replace my glasses that broke a couple of weeks ago. I'd still choose educational products. I've been browsing through a catalog this morning, circling things I'd love to have and use with my boy.

A few months ago I'd have beat myself up about this, believing I needed to get a life. Now, I'm trying to accept that perhaps this IS life for me, and instead of fighting it or belittling it, I need to surrender and accept. No, this doesn't mean I need to go broke(er) purchasing items from educational catalogs, but that perhaps I need to recognize that I truly feel excited and "in my element" when exploring these materials and considering all of the original ideas and how they've been put to use in such creative ways.

2 comments:

  1. True that
    I am mad about educational stuff too
    Also - I loved when you once talked about how you sorted and orgnaized everything in that shoe shelf hanging thing
    Clearly this gives you joy and there is something very freeing in giving in to what gives you joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was a fun project and a great idea if I do say so myself! And if I weren't so cheap, I'd have spent a bit more on a clear one so that I could see the stuff! lol

    ReplyDelete