Thursday, July 9, 2009

That's Silly, Mom!!

My son, as those who know me are aware, is very fond of production company logos. His favorite, by far, is Columbia/Tristar (the "torch lady" and the pegasus images). Well, he was very pleased to learn that the Statue of Liberty is also a "torch lady." And for his birthday my grandmother sent him a "Ready to Read" book titled Wonders of America: The Statue of Liberty. So today we were reading it (he can read very well for a child with delays in so many areas, which is a blessing for which I am very grateful) and discussing it, because we're heading to NJ at the end of next week and hope to get to see the Lady up close while we're there. He is BEYOND excited about this. Anyway, after we finished reading he asked me to, "Sing wa Statue of Wiberty song, mom!" Of course I'm sure there is one, but I haven't a clue how it goes, so I made something up, and he sat perfectly still and listened closely. I don't remember exactly what I came up with, but I basically retold the story of how she was a gift from France and they had to take her apart to bring her to the USA. He loved it. And, folks, I sound like Joe Cocker . . . with a head cold.

From there, I decided to check Youtube to see if I could find a patriotic song with images of our Lady. Sure enough, there is a youtube video of Celine Dion singing God Bless America that featured many images of the statue, the American flag, bald eagles, mountains and prairies. I explained to my boy that each of these images were symbols of America, the country we live in. I was feeling the love. :)

So then I decided to search for "statue of liberty song" and here's what I found (Lady Liberty singing "Rescue Me"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx28oc2yOuQ

I WISH I could've captured the look on my son's face when she opened her eyes and started singing!! LOL It was priceless. Mind you, he has about a dozen printed pictures of her from various positions that he treasures, even sleeps with on occasion, so he is intimately familiar with her face. He knew something was wrong. Very, very WRONG. His eyes were as big as twin moons and he started backing away from the computer, folding his arms around himself as if he were afraid. Poor guy! LOl So I asked him if he was afraid and he said, "No, Statue of Wiberty not talks!" I assured him that he was right and that it was a computer trick, just like the way a video we'd watched earlier tricked us by showing a cat jumping backwards up to the top of a china cabinet (which he thought was hysterical and wanted to do himself). He seemed relieved.

And we carried on. Hopefully he's not terribly scarred from the sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment